Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Maud Lewis



There are two particular odd bunnies in the Koo & Poppet collection, one named Maud and one named Lewis. I was trying to figure out why that name pairing sounded so familiar to me and then I remembered Nova Scotian folk artist Maud Lewis. When I was living in Halifax during my university days, I saw some of her paintings at the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia. This example of Canadian Maritime culture makes me feel so lucky to have spent time living there. I love the simplicity of the forms and the trueness of the colours, which is just like the East coast. Her life was even more extraordinary, read a bit about it here.
This was Maud Lewis's mini house in Digby, Nova Scotia:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!