Sunday, March 6, 2011

Home Reno - halfway point...

When we moved into our house in October of 2009, we knew we had our work cut out for us. At first glance, it was difficult to see past the rustic wood siding, stained carpet and marbleized seashell sinks. The house was built in 1979 and it's not hard to tell.
Still, it had a comfortable layout and a great yard and Scott and I saw some potential in this split-level country house. We could picture ourselves living here and we could also imagine digging into some home improvements. We're about halfway there, and have been in construction mode for more than a year now. A lot of the work to date has been mainly cosmetic updates, but a few walls have been built or demolished here and there. We probably have another 2 years to go! But it's been a lot of fun to see the transformation this house is going through.

Most of you have seen the results of "Phase One", my Koo & Poppet World Headquarters ;-),

The office before:

and after:

Split stair before:

Stair after (not quite done yet):

Living room before (yikes!):

Living room after (what to do to add some more interest around the fireplace? any ideas?):

Living room and entry on the day we moved in:

and after:

Dining room before:

Dining room after - just needs some new chairs and a little more colour:

Now we are diving in to the family room downstairs. This room is in dire need of a makeover! The plan is to have this room ready by the time the baby is born this summer. I'll post photos of the finished result soon....

After this room is finished, it's on to the bedrooms upstairs.....I'm dreaming up a nursery design right now....details to follow!

And finally.....the big ticket items: KITCHEN AND BATHROOMS. And we have big 'ol plans for the kitchen. It's preeeetty bad right now. But fully functional, so one can't complain too much :) Sometimes I remind my self that there's no rush for all of this....we have walls, heat and a roof over our heads and really, I'm just grateful for that. And then I re-acquaint myself with those seashell sinks and I'm all OKAY SLEDGEHAMMER NOW, RETRO CHARM MY A$$.
and did I mention that Scott and my Dad have done all this work by themselves? They are superstars.

2 comments:

lucky_14 said...

house looks so great. maybe i need to come for another visit and have your lovely husband cook me some more of his delicious food while i'm there. ;)

Koo and Poppet said...

anytime B!!